Otherwise, I really like Coles.

C's hope Coles decides to chip in
Celtics Notebook/by Steve Bulpett
Thursday, July 20, 2000
Rick Pitino worked out potential free agent signee Bimbo Coles yesterday. On
the golf course.
The Celtics are already well aware of what the veteran point guard can do on
a basketball floor, so Pitino and equipment man John Connor put Coles
through his paces on the links at Charles River. If a good impression was
the goal, the mission was accomplished.
``We had a great time,'' said Coles, who came into the UMass-Boston gym just
after halftime of the Celtics' 89-75 loss to Indiana in the Shaw's Pro
Summer League last night.
Coles may decide to remain with Atlanta, but he said he's also looking at
Milwaukee, Miami, Cleveland and Portland.
``I don't want this to lag on,'' he said. ``I'd like to do it pretty quick
and get it over with. Boston's right up at the top. I've enjoyed my visit.
They're right up at the top right now. It's a good possibility.
``I'm basically just looking at where they're going in their future, how
much they're committed to winning and the nucleus of the players on their
team. That's what's going to decide if I sign somewhere or not. It's
definitely going to have to be a great organization, and the Boston Celtics
are certainly that with all their tradition.''
The Celtics are in the market for a backup point guard, and Coles could fit
that bill.
``I'm not totally certain, but I definitely see a fit,'' he said. ``I really
enjoyed my day with coach Pitino and the other guys, so it looks good. It
looks real good.''
Ex-C's on Pace
A couple of former Celts had good nights for the Pacers. Dontae Jones had 16
points and four blocked shots at halftime and maintained those numbers by
game's end. And local guy Wayne Turner started at the Indiana point and had
seven points and five assists in 23 minutes.
Jerome Moiso had 19 points, seven rebounds and three blocked shots in 28
minutes for the Celts.
Workman-like effort
Haywoode Workman is expected to be back with the Celts' summer group
tomorrow. He went home to see his newborn child after suffering a strained
hamstring.
Bill Russell got a nice ovation when he entered the gym in the third
quarter.
He's Jim dandy
Associate coach Jim O'Brien is leading the young Celtic squad through the
summer, meaning he's the one who sits in the chair closest to midcourt when
he isn't standing to give instructions. It's a location O'Brien would like
to occupy during the winter some time.
And he's completely up front about it.
``I have a goal of being a head coach in the NBA,'' said O'Brien, an
assistant with the Knicks in the '80s before coming to Boston via two
college positions (head coach at Dayton, assistant at Kentucky). ``That's my
goal. I love the college game.
``The college game is a wonderful game. But I have a goal at some point in
time to be a head coach in this league.
``Sometimes that happens for people,'' he added, ``and sometimes it
doesn't.''
O'Brien believes he's on the proper path to his goal.
``I've always believed that you just put everything you have into the job
that you have and help that succeed,'' he said. ``And if I help the Celtics
succeed and get where Rick wants to take this, then I believe my chance will
come. That's my whole focus. I have no other focus.
``I am ecstatic about being an assistant coach at this level, and I think we
knew three years ago that this was going to be a major league challenge to
get this back to where we all want it to be. And I believe we're going to do
it. And if that happens, I'm confident things will work out.''