Re: BSG reports Walker trade in works

    I've got to admit this trade actually sounds plausible, all things
considered. If we're talking Croshere and Laettner for Antoine Walker, I
can't imagine a more mediocre NBA team on paper in terms of frontline
talent. I guess last year's Bulls team with Elton Brand was somewhat
close....The Denver team with McDyess from a few years back was also
pretty weak.

    I hope Detroit's Laettner offer (in lieu of Jerome Williams) will
ultimately be the deal breaker. Antoine Walker averaged more assists
than Laettner and Croshere COMBINED last year (3.7 versus 3.4) in 16+
fewer minutes per game no less (36.6 versus 53.1).

    And while Croshere had a "great" playoffs against the Fakers (15.2
ppg 0.8 assists, 6.0 boards) to make up for a mediocre season (just 1.1
apg etc) and cumulative playoffs (.418FG%, 4.7 boards, 0.8 assists, 9.4
ppg), so do a lot of big forwards whenever they play the Fakers as BSG
noted.

    To wit, Antoine Walker averaged 24.5ppg and shot .526 from the field
this year against the Fakers (both games came earlier in the season when
he was playing pretty poorly overall). In the two games against the
Fakers prior to that, Walker had 28 points (9-19), 12 boards, 7 assists
and 5 steals in a close loss, followed by 28 points (11-23), 13 boards a
pair of assists and steals in a big win at the Forum.

    In the past few seasons, Walker has had only one glaring bad game
(last year against Duncan and San Antonio) head-to-head against All Star
level power forward competition (notably Webber, Malone and Abdur Rahim)
and in big games (the Lakers, Pacers). He competes with a vengeance in
big games, and that's why he can be counted on even more than St Paulie
Girl Pierce to not wilt in any future playoff series. I of course mean
"future" as in when Pitino finally gets fired.

****