Re: thoughts on the disappointing celtics

Paul M. wrote:

"However, here's my nightmare scenario.At some point, unless this team gets
out of this funk and is able to gain alittle confidence by stringing a bunch
of wins together, these players aregoing to lose faith in Pitino. They're
going to tune the guy out; losefaith in his coaching abilities; he's going
to make some big trades....andit all begins again with, "These players need
time to learn the system.Learn how to play together."Just my little ray of
sunshine on a miserable winter day. If they lose tothe Clips....!"

This is exactly what I'm afraid of (hoping for?) I can't make up my mind
anymore. The more I watch this team, the more I think maybe a major shakeup
is needed. "Trade 'em all!" may have slipped from my lips a few times
lately. Then I sit down and think about who I want to be traded. Pierce? No!
Toine? Could we really get equal value for him? Do we have anyone else who
would fetch any real return?

I'm guessing any Celtic deal would go one of two ways:

1. Packaging good players and picks for a premier player. Say Toine,
Fortson, Battie and a No. 1 for Grant Hill (just an example). Phoenix has
pretty good luck doing this (Tim Perry and others for Barkley; Finley and
Nash for Kidd).

or 2. Trading quality for quantity. The Toine for Ratliff/Hughes type deal.
In any deal like this, the hope would be you'd get a player who could
develop into a Toine-type talent (Hughes, in theory).

Anyway, I agree Paul, that if this continues, major changes are coming. I
just don't know how I feel about that.

Mark