Cleveland game from Cleveland perspective

It looks like Cleveland is thinking of Boston as an easy opponent.
Here's an article from the Akron Beacon Journal:

---

Celtics are Cavs' century team

Wittman hopes history repeats itself, trip to Boston pushes offense
into triple digits

BY CHRIS TOMASSON
Beacon Journal staff writer

All you need to know about the Boston Celtics is that even Mike Fratello's
Cavaliers ran up big scoring totals against them.

Last season, when the Cavs averaged a team record-low 86.4 points a game,
they had nights of 116 and 113 points against the Celtics. Those were the
Cavs' two highest-scoring games of the season and two of only four times
they reached 100.

The big numbers have continued this season as the Cavs have averaged 109
in points in two games against Boston. It's no wonder the Cavs, whose
running game under first-year head coach Randy Wittman has been more like
a jogging game lately, are salivating at the prospect of playing at Boston
tonight.

``It's kind of our style,'' guard Bob Sura said. ``(The Celtics) press.
They get out on the open court. It should benefit us. We haven't been
running like we need to the last couple of games.''

It's been more than a couple of games. The Cavs, who scored 100 or more
points in 14 of their first 21 games, have gone eight straight games
without hitting 100.

The last time the Cavs (12-17) reached 100 in a victory was against the
good old Celtics, whom they defeated 115-88 on Dec. 14 at Gund Arena.
Three of the last five games in which the Cavs have scored 113 points or
more have been against Boston.

``In the two games we've played against them (this season), we've ran
well,'' said Wittman, referring also to the 114-103 loss at the
FleetCenter on Nov. 17. ``It's definitely going to be a point of emphasis.''

The Cavs try to run every game, but lately they've been doing a lot of
running in place. Here's a look at some of the reasons why the Cavs, who
averaged 102 points in their first 21 games, have averaged just 90.3 in
their last eight:

- The Cavs are fouling a lot. When opposing teams get in the penalty
situation, they're shooting more free throws. That slows down the game.

``You look at the Milwaukee game,'' said forward Shawn Kemp, referring to
the 91-90 loss last Thursday. ``Ten of their last 12 points (and 13 of
their last 15) were at the free-throw line. When they're scoring at the
free-throw line at the end of the game and the clock is is not running,
we don't get out on the fast break.''

- The Cavs have not been shooting well. In the first 21 games, they shot
45.6 percent. In the last eight, they've shot 40.1 percent.

The Cavs' shot selection hasn't always been great, but they've missed a
lot of layups. Many of those layups have been on fast breaks.

- Opposing teams are starting to figure out the Cavs. Seven of the last
eight games have been against teams the Cavs previously played. Each time
the Cavs scored fewer points than in the previous meeting.

- The Cavs have not been as aggressive on defense, so they're not getting
as many easy baskets off steals and other forced turnovers. In the first
21 games, the Cavs averaged 9.5 steals. In the last eight, they've
averaged 8.1.

- Teams are trying to force the Cavs into playing a halfcourt game. The
Cavs are not doing a good job adjusting.

``We have to do better in the halfcourt game,'' Kemp said. ``We're pretty
good when we run. Sometimes when we're not running, we struggle. We throw
he ball away. We're not aggressive. The more we're aggressive, the more
we get to the free-throw line.''

Well, at least Boston is showing up on the schedule at a good time. In the
two meetings this season, the Cavs have averaged 25 fast-break points.
In their last eight games, the Cavs have averaged 15.5 fast-break points.

``We're going to attempt to run,'' said point guard Brevin Knight of
tonight's strategy. ``If we run well, we'll continue to run.''

If the Cavs can't run well against the Celtics, they might not be able to
run well against anybody.