Re: Cleveland preview

The Celts need to take care of business against many IMO inferior teams
over the next two weeks (Chicago, Vancouver, Clippers, Nets and Wiz). Play
it one game at a time and mix in one or two "upsets" against .500 clubs
and we could have a 10-5 month to get back in the picture. The keys I
think are to get team chemistry to catch up fully with our new team
health, as well as to prove that the genuinely big road win at Denver was
no fluke (the Celts are capable of winning four of their next five road
games).

If we revert to the "headless chicken outbreak" tonight, then it seems
very unlikely we can look forward to a solid Y2K. Getting back above .500
will probably take over a month, but I feel like we will get there despite
our inconsistency, stupidity and youth. To the degree that the Celts
haven't had a winning streak of any kind in ages, a homecoming win against
Cleveland would be pretty big. I hope the fans really turn out with a show
of support for the return of Paul Pierce, the debut of Danny Boy and some
signs of All Star polish (.491FG%, 24.8ppg over the past 6 games),
consistency (20+ points in six straight) and aggressiveness (7.3 trips to
the line per game including 25 in the past two games) from Antoine Walker.

Go Y2K Celts!

Joe

Below are more previews of the Cleveland game via the Globe's Marvin Pave:

"Tonight at the FleetCenter, where Boston will play four of its next six
games,  the Cavaliers will see a full cast of Celtics, who snapped an
11-game road losing streak in their last outing, a 102-94 win at Denver.

''We played great defense against Denver, forcing them to shoot 39 percent
after they had shot 53 percent in their previous two games,'' Celtics
coach Rick Pitino said after yesterday's workout at HealthPoint. ''We've
shown great character at times and now we're healthy. So now we can get
some of our talented players back to go along with our attitude and become
a better basketball team.''

Just about anything would be better than what Pitino's team showed three
weeks ago at Gund Arena. ''They just spanked us big-time,'' said Pitino.
''But we were without Vitaly, Paul, and Danny, so this time we'll have
more strength up front.

''Danny still isn't in the condition, mentally or physically, that we need
him in, but that's expected after just three games back, and Paul's ankle
is better, but his conditioning will take a little time.''

Pitino certainly has more options than he did a couple of week ago.

''Physically, we're stronger, and we're stronger defensively,'' said the
coach. ''What we're trying to do in the new year is become a different
defensive basketball team, where we force the other team to shoot a low
percentage, where we force a team into turnovers, and where we don't turn
it over ourselves. That reaps the rewards of playing great defense.

''What's been a major hindrance to us has been our turnovers, especially
in the first quarter. One of the reasons we beat Denver, very simply put,
is that we had only nine turnovers in the game and we forced them into
shooting a low percentage. When you do both of those things, play great
defense and protect the basketball, you have a great shot at winning.''

Antoine Walker, who has scored at least 20 points in six straight games,
including a 26-point, eight-rebound effort at Denver, said being more
focused defensively is the key for the team as it tries to make a run at
.500 and possibly the playoffs.

''We're healthy and we feel like we have a good chance at putting things
together,'' he said. ''We just beat ourselves too many times earlier this
year. The way we beat Denver was a plus for us, but we know Cleveland can
be tough. Shawn Kemp is always tough and Bobby Sura's been playing very
well.

''But we're feeling more confident and we just had two good days of
practice.''