Re: options

If only Gaston could afford it, any cash-rich and ambitious team could use this
mid-season deadline to stockpile 97 picks (an admittedly weak bunch) and other
felt-to-be-unsignable free agents. Once the season ends, I assume the Bird rule
would transfer to the acquiring team, making them potential instant contenders.

As I understand it, certain wealthy teams like Orlando could even dump contracts
and picks for several useful future role players like Derek Anderson, Mo Taylor
etc., while at the same time actually simultaneously clearing even more cap
space to bid for summer free agents like Hill, Duncan and Eddie Jones.

The idea is first to bid for and sign Duncan and Grant Hill as true free agents
this summer, then to sign up as promised the Bird rule roster players (Mercer,
Mo Taylor etc.).

This probably makes no sense. Hey it's late.

****