Re: URL: NY Post: Knicks Want Fortson

At 08:27 AM 2/18/00 -0500, you wrote:
>http://www.nypostonline.com/sports/24908.htm
>
>"Considering the waste management, Toronto disposed on Boston
>on the rescinded trade, Fortson's market value is way down
>and he can be had for a backup."
>
>Way to go Pitino...

Since the jettisoning of Fortson is all but inevitable, and NY is the one
team that could really use him right about now, the question is, do we want
anything they  might be willing to part with? For example, would we want
either Ward or Childs? Since they both have fairly large contracts and
would be playing backup PG, Barros almost necessarily has to be included in
the package. Depending on how the money works out, and how badly NY wants
Fortson, either Kurt Thomas (FA at the end of the year) or John Wallace
(relatively cheap at ~$2.4M/yr. through '02) might be involved as well.

The contracts:
Chris Childs ..........  7/14/96    6    $24 million                '02

Charlie Ward ..........  1/21/99    6    $28 million                '04
(courtesy of Bender's site)

Ward's the better player, but his contract is obviously the less desirable
of the two (I'm assuming here that NY would be willing to part with him,
which may not be true). I also like John Wallace, albeit his stats are
unimpressive.
Thoughts?

BTW, the NY Post writer says that Fortson came back from a thumb(!) injury
this year. Obviously, a very thorough researcher...