Re: The Orlando Sun-Sentinel

Jim Hill wrote:

> This from Joe:
> >With regard to the present Fortson fiasco, I resent that Pitino has publically
> >blamed Walker's defensive shortcomings playing alongside Fortson (an experiment
> >I for one have never seen in a live game). The coach has to take some
> >responsibility for his own player evaluation skills rather than scapegoat an
> >individual player
>
> It is my belief, based on comments made over the last two years, that Walker
> insisted on being able to play the 3 position this year.  He then proceeded
> to come into camp without the conditioning required for a person with his
> body type to be able to do that.

I don't care to dispute what Jim says in any way. I just want to make clear that by
"player evaluation skills" I was referring to Fortson, not Walker. Pitino should
have known better in the first place that the guy apparently did not fit the system.
I prefer that Pitino owned up to this instead of blaming Antoine's "failure" as a
small forward for why the principle player in the Ron Mercer trade turned out to be
a third-string point guard (Alvin Williams) so undesired that his own team had
planned to downsize his role in favor of Haywoode Workman.

Pitino had a choice. He chose to publically blame Forts' agent....he chose to
publically blame Walker. I wish I could see evidence that those two individuals
should share the blame as much as the coach himself.

----