Re: The Orlando Sun-Sentinel

This from Joe:
>With regard to the present Fortson fiasco, I resent that Pitino has publically
>blamed Walker's defensive shortcomings playing alongside Fortson (an experiment
>I for one have never seen in a live game). The coach has to take some
>responsibility for his own player evaluation skills rather than scapegoat an
>individual player

It is my belief, based on comments made over the last two years, that Walker
insisted on being able to play the 3 position this year.  He then proceeded
to come into camp without the conditioning required for a person with his
body type to be able to do that.

If we remember, RP asked Walker to bulk up like K. Malone.  Walker felt that
it wasn't in his best interest and said he wanted to be more like Pippen.

So RP said Ok, but you have to be in the best shape of your life to play
like Pippen and then went out and got Fortsen to play the 4.

Walker came into camp looking like the dough boy.  This after all the off
season issues with Walker firing his trainer, blowing off the appointments
with the Celtic's trainer who flew out to Chicago to gauge his conditioning
etc...  After stateing he would train all off season.

I think what happened is Walker let RP down (as well as the fans and his
teammates) with his refusal to get into the kind of shape he needs to be in.
Look there was talk this month on why Walker can't still jump.

The Celtics will make the playoffs when Walker shows up to camp in
basketball condition as a 3 or 4.  (Though I don't think he will ever be
able to play the 3)  How many games did/will this team lose while waiting
for Walker to play himself into condition?

I like the guy, but come on don't resent RP because Walker doesn't behave
like a professional.  This is one reason he gets boo'd.

Also I would make the assumption that RP evaluates the match ups in
practice.  If it doesn't work against our 2nd unit I doubt it would work
against any other teams first unit.

<Jim