Re: The Orlando Sun-Sentinel

>From: Kestas <Kestutis.Kveraga@Dartmouth.EDU>

>Let's get the facts straight here. In Pitino's own words, when Pierce was
>slipping, Pitino was reluctant to take Paul because he figured there must
>be a reason for it. It took pleading by Conner, who said that he had played
>against Pierce in LA and he was a fine player, to convince Pitino to take
>Pierce.

By all means, Kestas, let's get the facts straight.  I'm with you until you
said it took "pleading" by Conner.  When I heard Conner describe the event,
Rick asked him why Pierce was slipping.  Lester told him that he had played
in the Summer league with Paul, and he was the second best player on the
court, next to Magic.  Rick said, "OK, let's take him".  Conner was
basically shitting his pants because he had been in the job about a week and
he had to stick his neck out like that.   Pitino had said months earlier
that Pierce and LaFrentz might be the two best players in the draft.

>We should give Rick credit for listening to his assistant, but,
>IMO, it is far from a sure thing that he would've taken Paul without the
>timely input from Conner. We'll probably never find out, because by now
>Pitino himself likely believes that he was going to take Pierce with that
>pick, Conner or no Conner. Memory is kind that way.

Just read your own statements that are based on nothing but your own
personal opinion of Rick Pitino and tell me that you are objective!  You are
not.  I will not sit here and tell you that I think Rick Pitino has done a
perfect job, or even that I am satisfied with the job he has done, but it is
pretty evident to me that he has a lot of critics who don't want to give him
any credit at all.

>Insofar as bashing Pitino with his own statements, I believe it was in
>response to Pitinoites' using that pick to argue that their idol was a fine
>judge of talent, while most credit for the pick should have gone to Conner.

Pitino did credit Conner! That's the whole point of mine and Alex's posts.
Are you blind?

Jim