Re: Bird's flight path might end at Boston

>From: "Thomas Murphy" <tfmiii@worldnet.att.net>
>Yeah, I found this to be a very surprising article. I just hope there's
>something left of the young core of this team by the time this goes down
>(IF it goes down).

I'm trying to figure out what in this article even suggests that Larry is
considering coming back to Boston, other than the headline ("Bird's flight
path might end at Boston").

Was it when Bird said, ``But after a while you have to grow up and
let it go. I've always been interested in jobs in the NBA. But I've
been in this for 20 years and it might be time to do something
else.''?  Doesn't sound like someone itching to find another coaching job to
me.

The only sentence that even vaguely points to a possible homecoming is: "But
friends says Bird would love to return to Boston, the scene
of his great playing days, in an executive capacity."  Enough has  been said
about sports "journalists" and unnamed sources already.  Let's just say that
even if Smith did speak to someone who was actually close to Bird, and that
person told Smith his honest opinion, I'm not sure it would be worth
anything.  I don't think Larry shows his hand to ANYONE.

The rest, of course, is pure speculation.  Pitino's going to either get
fired, or demoted so he will quit.  Gaston's going to sell the team.  Oh, it
all sounds so plausible, but so do a lot of things.  For myself, I'd be
happy to see Bird come back some day, but I'm not holding my breath.

Jim