On Bird & Pitino

I disagree that Bird is a better coach, etc.  He was able to start at
the top with a seasoned team.  That the players respected him helped
immensely, but he had a good 7'4" center, the best clutch shooter in
basketball, a very good point guard, two banger forwards plus Jalen
Rose, one of the better small forwards around.  Balance.

The Celtics had little to start with.  Pitino had a youthful Antoine
Walker.  What he has added looks pretty good in terms of a starting
five.  But creating team chemistry and team defense just is not like
making instant pudding.  He was probably right to try and trade for
Pippen early on--defense and maturity being more important than
players like Billups and Mercer; I opposed that but it would have
given us a different team orientation.  Now, he has to lead them into
playing team defense; on occasion it has worked.  We all act as if we
haven't beaten most of the top teams this year.  The problem is
inconsistency, not ability.  And when the starters or the bench play
up to their best, we can win.

Anyway, I don't think Bird would have done any better than Pitino.
There are a few who may be better than Pitino, but not many.

Cheers.  We're not far away from contention.  It just feels that
way.

Gene