Re: BSG's thoughts on the trade + readers' replies

On 10 Feb 2000, Kestutis Kveraga wrote:

> --- You wrote:
>
> Alvin Williams is twice the player Fortson is in THIS system.
>
> WAIT AND SEE..

> --- end of quote ---
>
> 2) If "the system" is so good, why are we the worst defensive team in the NBA,
> and, in the 3 years of using "the system",  we're 0-for-3 in qualifying
> for the playoffs? Is it all players' fault, are they all bad fits for
> "the system", or perhaps not talented or dilligent enough?

I would say with the "right" players, "the system" would have at least a
chance of producing decent results.  Unfortunately, Pitino seems to be
stuck in the middle between playing a more conventional style and finding
the "right" players for his system.  The results, as we've all seen, are
not pretty.

What is so baffling is how monumentally stupid the Celtics have looked the
past two years with Pitino at the helm.  For example:

* Drafting Chauncy Billups, then shipping him to Toronto when Pitino
finally decided he couldn't be groomed into a point guard.  Chauncy's game
was no secret before he was drafted -- a shoot first, pass second scoring
point guard.  Why did Pitino waste a #3 pick to evaluate a guy's game
which couldn't have been any more clear?

* Giving away Eric Williams for two second round draft picks.  I have no
problem with Pitino wanting to dump Williams, but his market value was
considerably higher at the time.

* As the Boston Sports Guy said, how can he possibly justify Fortson's low
minutes because Antoine couldn't play the small forward slot?  He's
coached Antoine through college and two NBA seasons before the trade was
made.  Shouldn't Pitino have figured out what Antoine could and couldn't
do by that point?

This is far and away Pitino's worst move.  Fortson was nice insurance in
case Project: Antoine didn't pan out and would have been a great
cornerstone for a more conventional lineup.  Put Fortson in the starting
lineup at PF, trade a combination of Kenny and Antoine or Potapenko and
Antoine for a top notch point guard or center respectively, and you've got
a 50+ win team for the next five years.

This is crazy.  I hate being a fan sometimes...

Dan