Steve Bulpett - December 16, 2000

C's await major move
Celtics Notebook/by Steve Bulpett
Sunday, December 17, 2000

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - With Friday's opening of the last major trade barrier
(players who were signed this summer are now eligible to be dealt), many
are expecting a flurry of moves. But the Celtics aren't in the thick of
anything yet.

Sources said the Celts have been offered a No. 1 draft pick by
Philadelphia for Adrian Griffin, but the talk was put on the back burner
when the Sixers developed a more pressing need of finding point guard
help until Eric Snow returns from the injured list.

Reportedly, the Celts kicked around the idea because Griffin hasn't
regained his form since spraining his right ankle Jan. 8 in Chicago.
Asked about the offer, coach Rick Pitino referred questions to general
manager Chris Wallace. But the coach indicated any Celtics move before
the Feb. 22 trade deadline likely will be more significant.

Before last night's loss to the Hornets, Pitino said he wouldn't turn
his back on something major, but he wanted to avoid the lower end of the
market.

``Here's how I'm looking at things right now, and I want to say this as
diplomatically as I can,'' Pitino said. ``I think the Chicago game
should never have happened to this basketball team, coming off that win
(over Denver). I'm very disappointed in the team in the way they should
have stepped up defensively and knocked some people on their ass. I'm
bothered by that. (Friday) we just got beat by a better basketball team.

``But with all that, I think right now putting Band-Aids on major
hemorrhaging is not what we should do right now. I think if we can
acquire more talent and do something major, we should do it. But if
we're just looking to make a move for the sake of making one, I don't
think we should do it.

``That's the way I look at it, and that's what I told Chris and Leo
(Papile, the director of player personnel). If they can bring something
that's going to make us win quicker and is better for the basketball
team, then by all means bring it to me. If it's something cosmetic,
don't waste anyone's time. We've made that mistake in the past, making
moves that really don't mean anything.''

Wallace said, ``We're talking with teams, but there's nothing I would
classify as imminent or likely.''