Har Har ... That Was a Real Stinker

Well, it was a bad one, no doubt about it.  But at least the list
conversation has avoided the usual knee-jerk negativity.  (The
negativity is there -- how could it not after that game? -- but it's
well thought-out).  I think Mark brings up some good points, but I've
gotta side more with Cecil and Joe's point of view.  It's not like I
didn't expect us to be 9-12 (or a similar record) -- easy schedule
and all.  Nor did I think that we would necessarily beat Chicago --
last year's team proved that.  Still, it _was_ just one game (I may
be a homer, I guess, but I can still count) -- no matter how you
slice it, it's still one game.

I think it's easy to point to this game as evidence to support
blowing up the team, or saying Pitino's gotta go, or trade Pierce or
Walker or whatever, but, to me, it's just not very convincing, since
I thought that things like this were going to happen throughout the
season.  The C's will also beat one or two really good teams, and
probably lose to a Vancouver- or Chicago-caliber team once or twice
more, too.  Walker and Pierce had off nights, and no one else carried
us, though I think Battie and Stith had pretty decent games, all in
all, and, as someone else mentioned, V and Griff were playing hard,
but not particularly well.

It's mostly about the defense, I think.  Though it sometimes looks
good, workable, and even elegant, more often it looks lame, matador
and layup-allowing.  More than wierd substitutions, player positions,
or yelling on the sidelines (all of which irritate me), I'd say the
team needs to reconsider what they are doing defensively -- what is
our defense trying to accomplish (and how), and is it succeeding?
Doesn't look like it to me.  A re-think is needed, and I like Joe's
idea of playing more man-to-man and less gimmicky headless chicken.
But let's be honest with ourselves -- that ain't gonna happen.

The team's going to have pitfalls like last night's game -- the
nature of the beast.  If the players fall into the trap of the
negative criticism, they'll only play worse.  If they can use it
motivationally, and play out of this miasma, things could get better.

I'm just leery of letting any one game sway me into being either more
positive than I think reality allows for (if they played well), or
more negative (if they didn't show up like last night).

Wow, that really sucked hard, though.  And it was humiliating, losing
to da Bulls.  At home.  Yikes.  I just don't see it as necessarily
more important (or indicative of the team's "sucking") than, say,
beating Cleveland meant they are  a great road team.

Regards,

Bill, Celtic "Tird"