               ***********
   Kenny's right to the point: Ailing C's get guard early
by Mark Cofman

Sunday, December 10, 2000

These are desperate times for the Celtics. So desperate, in fact, Celtics coach Rick Pitino will activate Kenny Anderson from the injured list after the shootaround today and start the veteran point guard against the Denver Nuggets tonight at the FleetCenter.

Anderson, sidelined since he fractured his left jaw on Nov. 4, participated in his first team practice yesterday at Sports Authority Center in Waltham. He ran plays and scrimmaged with the first unit, making the surprising developments of his premature return to the active roster a bit anticlimactic. But no less significant.

``I didn't want to activate him. I wanted to wait another week at least,'' Pitino said after conducting a lengthy three-hour practice. ``But I think we're in a desperate situation right now. We're desperate for wins.''

Also contributing to Pitino's decision to go against his original timetable with Anderson was news that Randy Brown has a ligament sprain in his right elbow. Brown, who had an MRI yesterday morning before sitting out practice, is not expected to be placed on the injured list. But his availability could be limited.

``If he bangs the elbow once, we're going to lose another game,'' Pitino said flatly. ``That's why I didn't feel we had any choice but to bring Kenny back. What I'm going to have to do is play Kenny in say, three-minute intervals, get him out and then get him back in. We can probably get away with that.''

They better hope so. The Celtics, who play five of their next six games at home, have fallen three games under .500 for the first time this season. With their point guards continuing to drop like flies, the Celtics' thinking was fairly simple; Anderson at any degree of his normal efficiency is better than any of the alternatives.

``I want to play, so I'm happy to come back early,'' said Anderson, who was sidelined for 16 games. ``Coach knows I'm not going to be in the best of shape, that getting my wind back is going to take time. But we need the help, and I can give us that. How much, I don't know. But we'll find out.''

Anderson, who suffered the injury when he collided with Cleveland's Lamond Murray, had his mouth wired shut for a month. The wire was removed on Wednesday, and Anderson began individual strength and conditioning workouts the following day. The nine-year veteran guard had targeted upcoming games against Chicago on Wednesday or Sacramento on Friday for his return. Guess again.

``This is the professional level, and these guys have been playing for two to three straight months,'' said Anderson, aware he's in for a challenge. ``I've been laid up for a month, so I know my wind is not going to be there right away. But the main thing is getting back out there and building back up to where I was before I got hurt.''

In that sense, Anderson actually figures he has something of a headstart. Limited to a liquid diet for much of his month-long recovery period, Anderson dropped about eight pounds. As far as he's concerned, it was excess baggage.

``I felt a bit overweight right before the injury,'' he said. ``I weighed between 188-190, and that's about eight pounds above my playing weight. Now that I'm back down to 180, I figure it can only help me with my conditioning. And once my wind is back, getting my timing and the rest of my game in order should be a lot easier. Every time out, I should be able to give this team a little more help.''

Copyright by the Boston Herald and Herald Interactive Advertising Systems, Inc. No portion of BostonHerald.com or its content may be reproduced without the owner's written permission.
           ********

Unchain My Heart!