Re: C's Did Kinda Get The Short End Of The Slop Bucket as Regards the 4-Team Deal

On Wed, Aug 16, 2000 at 07:20:00PM -0400, Way Of The Ray wrote:
> No doubt about it. Celtics were placed in a bad situation with
> Fortson, being a player who wanted to be elsewhere
> and wanting a large salary to boot. Still, there's this
> nagging feeling, that if the Jazz, who were in a
> similar situation with Howard Eisley, could come out of
> this deal nicely enhanced, why couldn't the Celtics?

Very good point and question.  I agree that the Jazz got the most out of
this trade, basically getting Marshall, a proven double-double player,
for their No. 1 in 2001.  And Marshall is probably well worth his contract,
which ends in 2002.

Dallas benefitted, but not nearly to the extent of Utah, in my opinion.
They basically got to sign Eisley without giving up much of anything.
Anyone know what the terms were?

Golden State had to give up who some feel was their best player, in order
to sign Fortson to the money that HE wanted.  And there's real reason to
doubt whether Fortson is going to be worth what they're going to be paying him.

The extent that Boston will benefit from the trade is what's at question
the most.  Boston basically exchanged Barros for Utah's No. 1 in 2001.