Profile Of Eric Washington Whose life Was Changed By Celtics Trade

      Boston Herald

      Life-altering deal for Washington
      by Mark Cofman
      Friday, September 17, 1999
      After finishing a successful week with the Nuggets in the Salt Lake City
      Summer League last month, Eric Washington made the flight home to Denver
      confident about the upcoming season. By the time Washington reached the
      airport terminal to claim his baggage, his professional life had changed.
      ``I got a call from my agent as soon as I stepped off the plane and he
      told me a trade was in the works,'' said Washington, recalling the turn of
      events that resulted in a six-player deal between the Nuggets and Celtics
      on Aug. 2. ``I think at first I was a bit stunned by the news. But this is
      a business and trades are part of it. Players do get traded in this
      league.''
      Washington did, joining Danny Fortson and Eric Williams in the blockbuster
      exchange with the Celtics that sent Ron Mercer, Dwayne Schintzius and
      Popeye Jones to Denver. Washington, expecting to compete for a spot in the
      Nuggets' rotation when he left Salt Lake City, quickly turned his
      attention to the Celtics.
      ``I was trying to figure out who they had at the position,'' said the
      6-foot-4 off-guard. ``There are a lot of thoughts that go through your
      mind in that situation, because of so many things. You never want to be
      traded. Denver was my home.''
      Washington, who arrived in Boston on Sunday, will try to find a new home
      in the Celtics' backcourt. As the least-known player in the trade, many
      considered him something of a throw-in to make the deal work. But the line
      on Washington is he plays solid defense and is a good outside shooter.
      Rick Pitino has discovered both qualities in short supply during his
      two-year tenure as Celtics coach.
      ``I thought I fit in well with what they were doing in Denver, but I feel
      the same way about the Celtics,'' said the former Alabama star, entering
      his third NBA season. ``I know Rick Pitino's style very well from our days
      in the SEC. His (Kentucky) teams did a lot of running up and down the
      floor, pressing - a style that fits my game very well.''
      Washington will compete at the position that has undergone the biggest
      facelift on the Celtics this offseason. Pitino and general manager Chris
      Wallace sandwiched the Denver deal between the free agent signings of
      off-guards Adrian Griffin and Calbert Cheaney. Paul Pierce, shifting from
      small forward, is expected to fill Mercer's role as the starter.
      ``I feel confident I can make a contribution here,'' said Washington, who
      worked out informally with his new teammates on Tuesday. ``But what I
      think of myself as a player or about my chances with the Celtics are not
      really important.
      ``What counts is what the coaching staff thinks after they've evaluated my
      performance. My job is to go into training camp prepared to earn a job.
      I'm not looking for anything to be handed to me.''
      Washington's level-headed approach comes from experience. Selected by
      Orlando with the 47th overall pick in the 1997 draft, he was part of a
      draft-day trade with Denver. Washington, who averaged 5.3 points per game
      last season, knows nothing comes easy for second-round draft picks.
      Fighting for a job becomes a way of life.
      ``I'll be in a different training camp with a new team in a few weeks,''
      said Washington, temporarily living in a hotel in Waltham. ``I don't
      really know anything about Boston, but my fiancee and I will make the
      rounds and get used to the area.
      ``The trade definitely came as a surprise, but I'm happy to be here. I'm
      looking at it as a tremendous opportunity. I want to take advantage of
      it.''