Re: Profile Of Eric Washington Whose life Was Changed By Celtics Trade

Can't say I know much about Eric Washington, but I assume he fills a niche because
of his height, his competency on defense and his deep shot. If ever there were a
prototypical streak-shooter, it would be such a kid. Last year, Washington
sandwiched a .471FG% shooting April (16 games) between a
I'm-surprised-they-didn't-cut-him .286FG% March and a horrid but brief .313FG% May.
Like many bench designated gunners, he so far shows next to nothing as a passer
(0.79 apg in 20mpg). I don't know if he was a better passer while at Bama.

On the one hand, I think it's amazing how much more respectable the Celts bench
looks compared to Pitino's first year (experience-&-talent-wise the worst NBA bench
I could imagine), but as for the 2-guard position it is really hard to say who might
emerge as Paul Pierce's understudy, or takeover if he (or Antoine) fails at his new
position.

Adrian Griffin sounds like a Kevin Gamble or Blue Edwards type  "no  mistakes, no
flash" sort-of-guy this year. I'm someone who always wished to be thought of by my
friends as a distance jump shooter, so I know from experience that you either
innately have that eye or you don't no matter how much time you spend in the gym or
how correct your "mechanics" (I certainly never was good, and I kind of doubt
Griffin will be either). In another age, Griffin could model his game on Adrian
Dantley's and get away with it I suppose.

Calbert Cheaney is a smart and talented player, but I suppose Mitch Richmond's
arrival in Washington made Cheaney realize he was by comparison a piss-poor
slasher/shot-creator and as such he may have lost a degree of the aggression and
confidence that had made him a proven NBA player. Richmond is at this point not a
very productive all-around NBA guard by any means, but cripes he is an almost
singularly talented and efficient shot creator.  Neither Cheaney nor Mercer have
anything like that kind of dribbling confidence or ability. So IMO it was a good
move for Cheaney to select a team that has a point guard and a playbook that are
mechanically pre-programmed to make a spot-up, mid-range jump-shooter like himself
fit in.

-------