Re: Stocked

Dan Forant Sr said:
> good balance and depth, this helped keep us in the game to the end. We
> played a good team on their floor and kept with them even though their
> starters posted big minutes. From here it looks like whoever the bench
> winds up being will be seeing enough minutes to satisfy them. Hope Turner
> can play, doubt Anderson will, but who knows.

Actually, I think the Celtics were considered the home team last night.
They were playing in their white home uniforms.  They were listed on
the bottom on the scoreboard on TV, and they were playing in Nashville,
Tennessee, which is probably closer to Boston than Utah, and relatively
close to the University of Kentucky, which as we all know is the recent
former home of Pitino, Walker and several other Celtics coaches and players.

The crowd seemed to cheer more for the Celtics, too.

I agree with all the folks analyzing the bench depth as a positive thing.
Think about it: this is the first time the Celtics have Pitino coaching a
full training camp with mostly returning players who know Pitino's system
already, and looking at Pitino's track record, that has always led to a
much improved record.  Add to that that:
  - it's their first full season in their new hi-tech training facility,
  - that more players came into camp in good shape already
  - that the Celtics have a couple years' head start on the rest of the NBA
    in building their team to play the up-tempo style which this year's new
    rules are encouraging,
  - that it looks like the Celtics will get to the line as much as their
    opponents this year (with Eric Williams back, and with Antoine driving
    more and posting up less),
  - that it looks like Kenny Anderson is actually going to make an effort
    on defense this year,
  - that with fewer shooters and better rebounders there will be more shots
    to go around, so add to that the more distributed minutes, and everyone
    should be happy with the number of shots their getting and will be more
    likely to pass the ball when appropriate and play team ball,
  - that Bill Russell is there to preach team basketball and defense (are
    you listening, Kenny?) and get the big men to play smarter than the
    rest of the league's big men,

and I think you should see dramatic improvements in the Celtics this year.

Jon