Re: Mercer : Give me the ball!

I watched the Denver game as well (thanks DirecTV), and I didn't see
anything different about RM from last year.

He does seem to have bulked up a little (maybe its the black uniform) and
he did make 2 3-pointers.  He shot them without hesitation, but also
without anyone within 10 feet of him.  He played an awful lot for an
exhibition game (about 38 minutes) and was credited with one rebound and
no assists.  He did get 2 steals, but they were both "passing lane
thefts".  Essentially, he spent most of his time hanging out at the 3
point line and waving his hands for the ball.

Its hard to make judgements based on one preseason game, but unless they
get markedly better with McDyess in the lineup, our Denver pick should
turn out to be a pretty good player.  They were outrebounded 50-35
according to USA Today.  They were credited with 12 offensive rebounds,
but they must have all come in the 4th quarter, because I don't remember
seeing any.  It was basically "1 and done" on most trips up the court.
They were very soft, and yet Chicago shot 23 more free throws.  In fact,
if the Bulls made any free throews (I think they were 24 for 39), the game
wouldn't have been close.

Popeye looked about like he did for us last year (sad), and LaFrentz
looked kind of weak.  He doesn't have a power forward's body and his game
reminded me a little of Travis Knight (with much more talent).

Tonight, we'll have a chance to compare Fortson's contributions to
Mercer's

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Michael J.King Sr. wrote:

> At 06:42 AM 10/13/99 -0700, Jim Meninno wrote:
> >>From: kevin.lok@lycosmail.com (Kevin Lok)
> >
> >>Mercer 13-28 3-3 31
> >
> >Does this mean he hit TWO three point shots?!?!  Go figure!  Anyway,
> >remember how good he looked in pre-season last year, until they started
> >putting a hand in his face.  We all thought the Celts were going to blow
> >the doors off their opponents.
>

> I watched the game last evening and he looked good but not great and it
> resembled a pickup game as well. He should look great against the Bulls one
> would think!  The game was definitely not a defensive battle. It is still
> early and he will contribute to the team as the season progresses as he
> does have talent, but he isn't the savior that the press and fans are
> hoping for. McDyess is the one to watch IMO on the Nuggets. Later.Mike

	  Dave Wickerham
	  aw623@freenet.buffalo.edu
	  Saratoga Springs, NY