Re: Fellowship of the miserable

This is exactly the type of criticism that I'm talking about. First of
all, you criticize him both when he signs a player and then trades him
away. For instance, you count Travis Knight and Tony Battie as two
mistakes. At most, they are one, and that's not even clear here. His
contract is certainly a reasonable size (average NBA salary, roughly).
This sort of double counting is a way for you to have a lot of
mistakes on your list. The real issue is, what kind of talent does he
currently have on the team after all his moves, and how well does it
all fit together? Counting mistakes like "he signed Massenberg" is
pointless and the exact type of mindless negativity that I am talking
about. Who cares about Tabak or Popeye Jones or Eric Williams? They
were throw-ins for a trade.

Now if you want to please the armchair GMs, you trade your young
talent and first round draft picks for proven veterans that are around
age 34-36. Pitino has not traded young for old with the exception of
Kenny Anderson and almost all the players who you list as mistakes
that are still on the team are very young. Yeah, he hasn't acquired
any "proven" players. Proven players that aren't at the end of their
careers are expensive to acquire; you either have a lot of cap space
or give up a lot of young talent. And this "can't attract free agents"
stuff is unsubstantiated BS. How much cap space has Boston had to
offer free agents recently? Only the exceptions. Of course you don't
attract "premium" free agents with the exceptions. And Cheaney was
pursued by Pat Riley, let's not forget, who I think is a proven talent
evaluator if you judge by his past moves and the team he's constructed.

Alex