Re: Expect a big effort Wednesday

Keep it up Gene. Really glad you're on the list. Battie has missed some
opportunities, but this is another good chance for him or Eric Williams
to step into the starting lineup and give the team a lift. Losing Pierce
isn't as devastating as it could be thanks to the level-headed Griffin,
provided we get some decent offensive punch from either Williams or
McCarty or Battie at forward. The win will have to come from defense
though (especially perimeter defense), and missing Cheaney will also
hurt. We need the next two wins I think, and the Celtics better focus
100% on their own hunger and pride rather than worry about what the other
team might be thinking.

Joe

p.s. I noticed that Michael Holley is back on the beat today in place of
Peter May, and sincerely hope (but doubt) that the Globe editor's have
elected to bench him. May loathes the Celtics and today's NBA in a manner
that must get tiresome for readers. If you turn off your readers to the
sports, it seems to me you'll inevitably turn them off to reading the
sports pages at all (or to switch to the Herald). He'd be a more
interesting basketball curmudgeon if he were smarter or more original,
but he's really neither.

p.p.s  Didn't you use to be President Reagan's appointee as US Ambassador
to the United Nations? :-)  I guess that was Jeanne Kirkpatrick.