Re: How do we keep Griffen

In a message dated 11/10/99 11:39:49 AM Pacific Standard Time,
adamlitchy@archimica-mo.com writes:

<<  So the question is, are we going to get screwed out of his services,
because
 we can't afford to pay him what he is worth?  I'm not talking about what
 Gaston will pay, I'm talking about stupid ass rules that limit what we can
 pay him, based upon his current salary.  Any capologists out there?   >>

My understanding is that the C's signed Griffin to a one-year guaranteed $385
K deal with the team's option to pick up Year Two.  Note: That is exactly
what they did with David Wesley.

In short, the C's can pick up the option on him for next year and after Year
Two, they can use the "early Bird" rule to offer him for Year Three the
greater of:

A) 175% of his Year Two salary
                       OR

B) the "average NBA salary" which should be in the $3 million neighborhood by
then.

Anyone and everyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Again, I'm no
capologist, I just pretend that I am. :)  However, here's one time I
sincerely hope that I am indeed correct. It would be truly shameful if the
C's develop this guy only to lose him to a higher bidder come July 1st.