Re: How do we keep Griffen

Never fear, Griffin signed a contract with a team option for
a second year, I believe; similar to the one Bruce Bowen had.
I wondered why Wayne Turner signed only a one-year deal but I
guess we have the answer now: Pitino probably knew he wasn't
going to need that option. So the option will be exercised
(unless Pitino has an agreement to instead sign Griffin to a
long-term deal under the $2M exception; I think he'd rather
add to the team instead though) and at the end of two years,
the early Bird exception will apply, which will let us beat
out other suitors who offer the $2M exception. Now if some
team has $5M in cap space or something and throws it at Griffin,
we may lose him, but I really doubt that happens.

The rule is to keep other teams from circumventing the
salary cap by signing a player for a year at the minimum and
then giving him a $70M deal, for instance. I'm glad they work
that way too or Portland would probably have a $200M payroll
ten-deep with All-Stars (not as if they weren't heading in
that direction anyways). Seriously, though, it would hurt the
Celtics if that rule didn't exist because they are not
one of the most free-spending teams. And it let us basically
get Tony Battie for free so I can't complain =)

As it is, Pitino evidently had the foresight to make Griffin's
deal essentially a two-year one, so we should be all set. Once
Fortson is extended, it looks like the Celtics will have all
their major pieces secure for a long time (since Pierce is on
that new-fangled rookie contract with first refusal).

Alex