Bulpett's Potapenko Feature

Below are excerpts from Steve Bulpett's article. Vitaly Potapenko is
psycho. I wish there were more guys like him in the NBA. How many NBA
players will go to war for you like that?

---------
Copyright Boston Herald:

Vitaly Potapenko has racked up some impressive statistics: 22 points, 14
rebounds, three assists, five stitches and two messed up front  teeth.

``I have a curse on my face, you  know,'' Potapenko said, employing a
smile aided by two false choppers. ``I can't get away from it. I mean,
you don't want to play  passive, so there's nothing you can do about
it.''

Wednesday night against the Wizards, he made 7-of-12 shots from the
floor and 6-of-8 free throws on the way to 20 points. There were also
just two fouls in 31 minutes.

 ``I came out and set my attitude to pass first and get myself involved
with rebounds and defense,'' Potapenko said. ``Everything else just came
after that.''

Vitaly can also bang and bump and stick his nose into trouble - which is
where the face comes into dangerous play.

(.....) ``I think I was posting up and somebody tried to spin off me,''
Potapenko said. ``I caught an elbow right on my chin, and they're  not
natural teeth. They just popped.

``They were already fake teeth, and my dentist told me to be careful
because they were going to come out. But what can I do? I can't play to
protect my teeth. I have to just play hard. At least they were only fake
teeth.''

But with the new emphasis on limiting contact, he has to be concerned
about not letting the rule enforcement limit his playing time.

 ``I just have to be careful,'' he said. ``You can see the fouls are not
from guarding players in the low post. All the fouls were just pick and
roll fouls and getting called for hitting cutters.

------