Re: Atlanta (was Re: Charlotte)

----- Original Message -----
From: Gregory Odegaard <grodeg@kalama.com>
To: <Celtics@igtc.com>; 'Tim Lynch' <timmer96@mindspring.com>
Sent: Friday, November 05, 1999 11:17 AM
Subject: RE: Atlanta (was Re: Charlotte)

Again hard to take any Atlanta team too seriously when they can't even sell
out the home opener in an brand spanking new building with all the hype a
Hotlanta event brings.  Reports are they were many thousand short and the
crowd that was there was barely into the game.  Typical.

3-0 and counting..........

-------

I can see your point, but it's easy for those with 16 banners hanging from
the rafters to think like that.  The main problem is that frankly almost
nobody in this city is from here.  Until a team does something worth seeing
these NYers, Chicagoans, etc. aren't going to really care.  And frankly the
Braves are the only ones in town who have, one miracle season by the Falcons
be damned.

Pro sports has only been in Atlanta since 1966.  Unlike the Northeast and
Midwest where fandom has been entrenched in cities for over a century in
some cases, Atlanta just doesn't even have that lore to draw from.  Couple
that with the transient nature of the city and the fans are pragmatic, "show
me" types.  I moved here in '84 and the only thing the true natives seem to
care about is college football.  I'm just one of the few fools who still
think the Hawks may someday do something.

Tim

P.S. Much was made about the Braves not selling out a few playoff games but
they did outdraw both the Yankees and Mets during the season.