Team chemistry and a prediction

A few thoughts:

Firstly, I have to disagree with all this talk about Pitino's moves
destroying the team's continuity.  Case in point is Sacramento last
year.  They bring in a rookie point guard, Divac, and a disgruntled
Chris Webber and look at the season they had.  We have brought in
superior talent versus what we had last year coming off the bench, so
that really can't hurt.

Eric Williams:  Should provide some good minutes off the bench.  You
know we will get more free throws this year.
Danny Fortson: rebounds, rebounds, rebounds.
Adrian Griffin: what can you say, he's been solid as a rock.  Needs to
work on that outside shot though.
Calbert Cheaney: Ok, he has stunk it up so far but he will turn out to
be a solid player for us.
Wayne Turner:  Played very nicely in the preseason, especially down
the stretch in a game to close out a victory.

Having said that, I think the Mercer trade was a good one.  Pierce is
going to have a breakout season, posting up shooting guards all year.
They didn't do that very much during the preseason, but I bet they
start doing it a lot more when the season starts.  Versus smaller
guards, that's at least an automatic 10 points a game for Pierce.  He
is also a good passer, so when he gets double teamed, he should be
able to find the open man.  He is a step up from Mercer defensively at
that position too.

On the down side, outside of Pervis and Battie, size wise (height) we
are still pretty small.  This team needs more size.  Fortson at center
should not even be considered. I don't care how he rebounds, a 6'8"
center is ridiculous.  That is a tremendous defensive liability.  He
is a 4 at best.  Not everybody can be Dave Cowens.  I hope that was
just an experiment by Pitino in the early preseason games.  If the
Celts don't go after a decent center during or after this year, they
are crazy.  Who that would be and how they would get him, I don't
know.

And prey that Russell gets into Toine's head.  It's looking pretty
good so far.

45 wins, 7th place in the Conference, out in the first round.  Pierce
makes it to the all-star team.