Re: Tidbits from Cincinnati

----- Original Message -----
From: Patrick Goggin <gogginpd@email.uc.edu>
To: <Celtics@igtc.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 1999 10:03 AM
Subject: Tidbits from Cincinnati

> -I find the entire franchiseinf Atlanta nauseating--from the fans, to the
> players, to the coach.

Like anyone asked you.

> Their playoff attendance was a joke,

Detroit @ Atlanta 5/8: 20,884
Detroit @ Atlanta 5/10: 16,377
Detroit @ Atlanta 5/16: 8,460 (i.e. sold out Georgia Tech)
New York @ Atlanta 5/18: 18,513
New York @ Atlanta 5/20: 22,558

Discarding the game at the tiny Alexander Memorial that averages out as
19,553 per game which I'd hardly term a joke.  You may postulate that
Celtics fans would have filled the Georgia Dome all four nights but if
you've ever seen a game there you'd realize how bad the seats start getting
beyond that 20,000th seat.  It's a football stadium after all.  It would be
better to judge Atlanta fans (of which I am one) next year when the new
arena is ready and the ramshackle arena situation of the last two years is
over.  With four first round picks and hopefully healthy players the team
should be able to improve significantly next year.

> the players lay down and die every playoffs

In '96 they upset higher seeded Indiana and in '97 they lost to the top
seeded Bulls (who didn't?).  Last year was disappointing but this year they
were missing two starters for chrissakes.  I'm surprised they fended off
Detroit.  Fact is NY (just knocked off a #1 seed) is peaking while the Hawks
were exhausted from going only 6 deep for all intents and purposes.

> and I've always felt that Lenny Wilkens is overrated. . .

Perhaps.

> I know he has more coaching wins than anyone but what's his
> winning percentage?

How many superstars has he had the oppurtunity to coach?  I really can't
think of any.  In fact his '79 Sonics were probably the last team to win it
all without one.

>What have his teams done in the last 15 years?

Run into the more talented Celtics, Pistons, and Bulls.  Cleveland looked
ready to take it one year until the GM inexplicably traded Ron Harper for
Danny Ferry (unbeknownst to Wilkens).

> I'd rather not make the playoffs like the Celts than roll over like
Atlanta did.

Unfortunately as a Celtics fan (via Pitino/UK) I fear that you may continue
to get your wish.  Well at least they get a lottery...err, nevermind.

Tim