Re: Battie and brother -Reply -Reply -Reply

> So...let me reiterate Mr. Hironaka's question:  does anyone on the list
> know what Harrington's status is vis a vis free agency?  With a contract
> that befits his former second round pick-status, he might be easily
> persuaded to follow the allure of dollar signs and increased playing time
> (assuming, that is, that Gaston's fingers can be pried off of his purse
> strings).

According to Patricia Bender's site, he's on a one-year contract but the
money is unknown. It has to be for small money given what the Rockets did
in free agency with Pippen. The Celtics could offer the middle class
exemption (I'd definitely approve of this move) but would probably be
outbid by the Rockets or some team with cap room.

On the subject of offseason additions, from the Boston Herald:

>Many were the NBA veterans who have said over the past two years that a
>free agent would have to be crazy to want to play for the Celtics under
>Rick Pitino's system.
>
>Well, apparently not everyone is keeping their sanity.
>
>As the Celts go into a summer with interesting roster decisions to make, a
>few vets have let it be known they wouldn't mind playing a little Pitino ball.
>
>Specifically, while Mitch Richmond is extremely likely to remain with
>Washington, he has sent word to the Celtics that he is not frightened
>by their style.
>
>Also, on the last night of the regular season, Charlotte veteran Chuck
>Person sent word to Pitino through a reporter that he'd be willing to
>talk about the $2 million exception.

I've always thought that this idea of veterans being scared of Pitino's
system was BS.

Alex