Re: Pitino Changes Tune

Alex Wang wrote:

> The scorer off the bench can be a cheaper veteran that plays 18-22 minutes
> a game. The thing about making one of the young stars a sixth man is that
> you are not going to get full playing value out of them for the money you
> are going to pay.

Whoa, Alex, this is our Celtics we're talking about! Our sixth man is a guy
who would finish games, play significant minutes, and, YES, be paid like an
All Star (Ramsey, Havlicek, McHale, Walton). FYI, the word "our" is pronounced
with three syllables.

If Mercer signs for Kerry Kittles money, then there will be plenty of kissing
and making up from both sides. What's going on right now is just the first
rhetorical salvo in this summer's "Pitino vs. Master P" showdown.

The problem is that Peter May and others have suggested that Mercer is not
merely as valuable as Antoine Walker, but actually even more valuable (since
he's such a nice, humble guy and can jump wicked high). May also thinks Vitaly
is really a 6-10 power forward, and that Antoine is disgustingly "me-first"
when it comes to leading the Celts frontcourt in assists and rebounds. But
don't underestimate how much May's opinion reflects (and shapes) the views of
the average Boston townie fan. Master P will start at the max (71 million) and
work his way slowly down. Clearly, the Celtics brass hasn't graded Mercer's
game at quite that level.

Maybe it really is best for Pitino to wait a year before negotiating, using
some "new company policy" excuse or other. By the end of next season, we will
know far better whether Mercer is worth the maximum contract or not, and
hopefully no one will have the cap space or inclination to match what we
offer.

When you think about it, the current cap is set irrationally and
unrealistically low. Many teams are 25 million over the cap. I think this
makes it a buyers' market.

Joe