Re: Knick game

DJessen33@aol.com wrote:

> We had a visit from the old, UGLY Celts tonight. Is it a coincidence that
> Walker was in the starting lineup when the ugly Celtics reappeared? Actually
> this game was a tale of two teams, one with Walker in it and one that had
> Walker out, Battie in with Pierce with the focus. The Celts played good ball
> without Walker, ugly ball with...I believe Walker's problem is that everyone
> knows he is taking the ball to the hole. They don't have to worry about the
> pass off.

I didn't watch the Knicks game (nor the blown 16 point lead against the Bucks
without Antoine), but I do know AW averages more assists than Pierce or Mercer.
Last year, Antoine Walker led the team in total assists, which is rare for a
power forward (that's called an 'understatement').

I know Antoine had a lousy 1999 season, but remember that if you subtract him
from the lineup and our next best rebounder is averaging 6.7 per game. You can
have all the improved team chemistry (highly debatable IMO) you want w/o Walker,
but you are a still below a .500 team unless you have more top rebounders like
him. Rebounding is a statistic that doesn't lie too much, in that it gives you a
fair sense of talent and effort. Potapenko, Pierce and Battie are pretty darn
good rebounders, but they are more than a notch below Antoine Walker. .

I realize that Antoine is the leader of the brat pack, with the most evident
flaws in his game. But it's good to have someone as competitive as AW, and we
have reason to believe he will develop into a better player than he is now at age
22. Even if you hate AW's act, you have to realize guys who can rebound, pass and
shoot outside don't grow on trees. Let's all stop pretending they do

BTW, last night's Knicks game kind of reminds me of the Cleveland playoff game
(1992?) in which Larry Bird first came back from injury, after Reggie Lewis, Ed
Pinckney and John Bagley had led the team for 15 or so miraculous and impressive
regular season and playoff games without him. I believe Bird got his 20 points
but also totally disrupted the team's chemistry, and they lost. Bird and the
Celts got back on track the next game I believe. Anyway, I obviously think you
should give Antoine some slack for last night, although I wish we had won.

But yeah, the kid's got a way to go. I don't mind at all seeing his lousy season
end on a sour note (rather than the Miami game), since hopefully it will motivate
him to work harder in the offseason.