Re: Happy anniversary

> Subject: Happy anniversary
> Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 10:47:45 -0800
> From: peter delevett <pdelevett@amcity.com>
> To: Celtics <Celtics@igtc.com>
>
> Paul M. wrote: >I
> >think we're in for a multi-player/multi-team blockbuster that really shakes
> >this roster up.
>
> I think this would be a catastrophe. We will rue the day we let Ron Mercer go.
> It amazes me that people are so cavalier about moving him, as though we have
> an equivalent talent at two guard just waiting in the wings. People seem to
> think that just because someone is good at the 3 means he naturally can be
> swung to the 2 without missing a beat. There are many different skill sets to
> playing the 2 guard that I don't know Paul Pierce has, or at least that I
> doubt he can execute as well.

Two things he can execute better than Mercer are three point shooting
and
defense.

> Jesus -- Larry Johnson,

LJ has two year left on his contract, and then a $12 M slot to sign a
quality
free agent becomes available.

 Rodney Rogers, Lorenzen Wright ... What have any of
> those guys won?

What have any of the Celtics won on the NBA level?

Will you folks LOOK at the teams that keep making these
> "multi-player/multi-team blockbusters?" How about the Knicks?

Camby is finally being used right and Ewing has been injured.

The Suns?

The Suns are playing very well as of late.

Pat
> Riley failed in his efforts to "shake his roster up" this season, and look
> where it got him: with a veteran core of players who are jelling at the right time.

And I'm sure after they're eliminated in the playoffs,
 he'll try to make another blockbuster deal.

> I would join those who say that instead of trading either Mercer or Pierce,
> make one of them a 6th man elite, a la Hondo. IMO, Pierce's overall skills
> would render him best suited for that position. Unfortunately, as we all know
> by now, that ain't gonna happen. That could be a function of the team's youth
> -- see my last post, re: the veterans on the Bucks' bench who are content, if
> not happy, to come off the bench and help the team win. It's too bad the young
> Celtics seem averse to that idea, considering what I heard on the radio this
> morning: 31 years ago today, the Boston Celtics beat the L.A. Lakers to win
> the NBA championship, and some guy named Havlicek scored 40 points. Happy anniversary.

The skids are being greased for a Mercer deal.  It's funny, I didn't
hear anything
about budgetary considerations when they handed out the contract to
Walker.
Add in Pitino's desire for a big forward; the inability to bring one of
the three
young players off the bench; the fact that base salary compensation
makes Walker
extremely hard to trade; Pitino's unhappiness with Battie's defense...
and all
that leaves you with one out: To deal Mercer for a quality power forward
- probably
packaged with Battie; perhaps Kenny included too.
Ray