Re:

Just for the record, Mark Woodward (not I) made the statement about
being shocked with Walker. However, I did make the comment about the
team lacking half-court offense, and Peter you're right that there is no
excuse for it. For two seasons now, there's been no variety. The only
plays seem to be 1. a pattern where Walker has the ball on the left,
passes it to the center who pops out high right, then the ball is swung
back around to Toine posting up; and 2. Kenny pounding the dribble while
Mercer and Pierce curl off picks. The whole offense seems designed to
generate jump shots and one-on-one moves.

Last year, Billups was criticized for not getting the team into the
offense quickly, but in situation 2 he was just waiting for people to
get open. The same thing still happens with Kenny. Surely there must be
options they can try: pick and roll, two-man game, posting Pierce or
Mercer, using a high post, etc.  Mercer killed Denver with post-ups; can
he only do it against 6'1" opponents?

Pitino can't change the people now, and maybe he can't generate offense
now from the press, but someone among the squadron of coaches must be
able to think of a few new plays.
--
Mike Dynon
North Kingstown, RI