Inside Track

Rick should slam dunk feud
by Gayle Fee and Laura Raposa

Thursday, March 25, 1999

The Boston Celtics are a pathetic mess. They're losing games, getting booed,
embarrassing themselves on the court.

Obviously, there's some bad karma here and we think we know why: Coach Rick
Pitino is feuding with his old pal, Jersey Red.

The boys, who have known each other for 30 years and until January spoke at
least three times a day, are battling over something so stupid and so petty
that no one really knows what it is. But one thing is certain: Little Ricky's
 in the wrong.

``Pitino accused Jersey of doing something, but as it turned out, Jersey
didn't do it,'' said Someone Who Knows. ``And now it's time for the coach to
be a big boy and apologize.''

But sadly, we hear Pitino refuses to do the mea culpa thing. And Jersey,
knowing that his old pal is in pain, won't discuss the dispute.

``(The argument) is so personal in nature, I'd rather leave it between Rick
and myself,'' said Red, whose real name is Ken Ford.

But it seems like Pitino is ripe for a pep talk and a little dose of Jersey's
wisdom. Not only is the team tanking, but the coach is in desperate need of a
 chill pill.

In fact, just last week, the chef from Angelo's Ristorante wanted to cook up
some angel hair for the hapless hoopsters and Pitino pitched a fit.

``The coach sent word back that he had his own brand of sauce and pasta,''
said Angelo's PR gal, Lauren Birmingham. ``And he didn't need someone
else's.''

Well, that's gratitude for ya!

Obviously Pitino, who's been heeding Red's advice and counsel since he
slung hash at Rick's frat house at UMass, needs a trip to Jersey!
<snip>

In other news, Mick Jagger has ditched Liane, the Boston bartender
after a night of mad passion.....