Re: Szczerbiak

> When will people stop comparing Wally Szerbiak to Larry Bird, when the
> fact is their games are really not all that similar (to wit: Bird
> couldn't dunk with Wally's power, Wally can't handle or pass like Bird).

I actually think that their games are quite similar.  Sure, Wally is a
better dunker (and physically stronger), and Bird is better at
everything else (and a bit taller). But basically, they are similar
players.  Both rebound well on the defensive end, both can shoot the
lights out, both pass and handle the ball well for big men.  Both can
contribute a lot without scoring.  In the Utah game, Wally dove for a
loose ball and tipped it right to his point guard who promptly stuck a
shot clock beating three.  That pass had "Bird" written all over it.

Szczerbiak will never be as good as Bird, but he does play the same kind
of game - which isn't true of most NBA players regardless of their color.

Michael Byrnes
mbyrnes@stanford.edu