Who are you? Who, who, who, who...

>From: Douglas342@aol.comt.

>    So who are the rest of you?

That's the spirit, Doug.  Although I didn't really mean to say that I
had a problem with e-mail pseudonyms.  I would only say that I wish
people posted AS IF we knew them, and they were accountable for the
things they say.  I can see why some people wouldn't want to broadcast
who they are (and where they live).  You never know what kind of nuts
are out there.  Let's just say I wouldn't feel too comfortable at the
urinal next to Ode after he shared that pearl of wisdom his
father-in-law gave him!  However, since I guess I started this spirit of
total disclosure, here's my story...

My name is Jim, and I'm a Celtaholic.  I'm Kevin McHale, going on Larry
Bird, so I was born in 1966 (get it?).  I grew up in SE Mass.  As a kid
I was a baseball fan.  No one I knew really even mentioned the Celtics.
At some point, it started to hurt when I got hit with a baseball, and I
grew a lot, so I started playing a little basketball.  Around that time
I had heard that the local team, which was "wicked bad", had acquired a
young man from Indiana State University who was going to save them.  I
started following them, and got really hooked in the '81 championship
year.  I haven't regretted it ever since.  I went to college, became a
computer programmer, tore my ACL and started to get fat.

I took a detour on the road to #17 when I got married and moved to
England in 1991.  I was there for 6 years and had very little NBA news
at all.  Other than that, it was terrific.  I had no cable or satellite
TV or internet access, so I was pretty much limited to grabbing an
occasional USA Today.  I moved back to the Boston area on April 12th
1997.  I got to witness exactly one game of the ML Carr regime; the win
at Philadelphia.  While I was abroad, Larry and the rest of the Big
Three, retired. A guy named Michael won a couple of rings, retired,
failed at baseball, came back bigger than ever and won a couple more
rings.  Akeem became Hakeem and won a couple of rings himself.  Reggie
died.  The Celts got Dominique Wilkins (What?  That can't be right.) The
Garden was replaced, although I got to see it as a pile of rubble, with
the balconies exposed to the elements.  Absolutely one of the saddest
moments of my life.  And, the light shone at the end of a long, long
tunnel when the Celtics landed Antoine Walker.  Let us not forget where
they would be without him.

The couple of years since then have been interesting, to say the least.
The C's got serious and hired a real coach.  Tim Duncan became Kenny
Anderson and Ron Mercer.  My knee doesn't let me play hoops, really, so
I've taken up cricket!  Players have revolved in and out of the Celtics
feverishly.  And almost every game has been played with passion, if not
always consummate skill.

In a way, I think the last dynasty came so easily our expectations are
unreasonable.  Two years after being a laughing stock, Boston were
champions.  Now, it's been two years and we'll be lucky if they crack
.500.  Rather than bitch and moan about how bad things are, I think we
need to understand how lucky we were in the past to have had what we
had.  We can not expect success to come as quickly this time.  There are
no guarantees that, just because these are the Boston Celtics, that they
will even ever reach that point.  But, at least, after years of being a
joke, they are serious about trying to get back to that point.  They are
once again a team with pride, a team we can be proud of.  That's what
being a fan is all about, isn't it?

Jim