Re: RIGHT ON!

I think there is a big split of opinion between those who dislike KA
as our point guard, and those, like myself, who like him a lot and our
shocked at his poor play.  IMHO, KA is not the kind of player who can
allow himself to be out of shape, and furthermore, he has to break bad
habits ingrained from being a halfcourt point guard in the nba for
most of his career.  He is a natural on the break, and will always be
able to make a great pass if he sees it.  But when you are not in
shape you get lazy, and dribble looking for someone to flash, rather
that making the opening happen yourself via penetration or pick and
roll.  And of course there is the issue of control; halfcourt PGs
generally own the ball, and that can't happen in an uptempo system --
although of course, it is great when there is no fast break available.

Cousy apparently keeps advising Kenny to penetrate with an eye to
passing.  I think Kenny will be great for us later this season AND
next season, though I think that at best he will only be a
complementary defensive player, as was Larry Bird.  His shooting will
improve as well when he is in better shape, because he is a jump
shooter whose weak legs are causing him to miss easy jump shots,
especially since they are carrying around more muscle mass than they
ever have before  (compare Kenny's body now with his body of last year
-- that tells you 80% of the story.)