Re: Hell of a trade -- here's why

-----Original Message-----
From: John Lyell <Jlyell@concentric.net>

>I think most people overrate the talent on this team.  Mercer & Walker are
>extremely athletic, but are terribly inconsistent. Barros & Minor have not
>been moved because there isn't anyone who wants them.

Well! the league doesn't overrate their talents. It was rumoured that Mercer
could have fetched us  David Robinson. Agreed that Robinson is not the
player he once was but how many players in this league can be traded for
Robinson.

> Mercer has no long
>range capability.  I would take Kobe over him every time.  Kobe has
>exceptional moves and is an excellent rebounder. He has the talent to be
>the next Jordan, where Mercer, unless he can get a decent jumper will just
>be another Kendall Gill type player, average, but not the go to guy.

It depends what you term as long range, Mercer is a pretty good shooter from
18 feet and under. He  is rebounding much better. He has had some setbacks
due to injuries, so it is a little unfair to evaluate him  after 13 games.
If Kobe had showed near Jordan like talents, the lakers wouldn't have the
need to trade for Glen Rice.

>AU
>can not play the 4 against physical 4's like Malone Grant etc.  He gets
>killed. He is a finesse player. We need to sign Lorenzen Wright for the 4
>spot. 25 boards last night. When is the last time you can remember a Celtic
>getting even 15 ?

Antoine got 18 against Denver. Wright is a good rebounder but Wrightt is not
better than Antoine in anything he does with the exception of FT%.

> but we are a long way from being able to compete with the
>Lakers after the recent moves..

I agree but then with the recent moves, nobody compares with the Lakers on
paper.
                                                                  - Mishra