RE: Hell of a trade -- here's why

On Saturday, March 13, 1999 3:16 AM, skmishra [SMTP:skmishra@us.oracle.com]
wrote:

> [...]
Mercer
> could have fetched us  David Robinson. Agreed that Robinson is not the
> player he once was but how many players in this league can be traded for
> Robinson.

If there was any truth to this, based o the huge salary differences, it
would have to be Mercer & Walker or Anderson. With Duncan, Robinson is
expendable for a couple young players.

> > Mercer has no long
> >range capability.  I would take Kobe over him every time.  Kobe has
> >exceptional moves and is an excellent rebounder. He has the talent to be
> >the next Jordan, where Mercer, unless he can get a decent jumper will
just
> >be another Kendall Gill type player, average, but not the go to guy.
>
> It depends what you term as long range, Mercer is a pretty good shooter
from
> 18 feet and under. He  is rebounding much better. He has had some
setbacks
> due to injuries, so it is a little unfair to evaluate him  after 13
games.
> If Kobe had showed near Jordan like talents, the lakers wouldn't have the
> need to trade for Glen Rice.
>
> >AU
> >can not play the 4 against physical 4's like Malone Grant etc.  He gets
> >killed. He is a finesse player. We need to sign Lorenzen Wright for the
4
> >spot. 25 boards last night. When is the last time you can remember a
Celtic
> >getting even 15 ?
>
> Antoine got 18 against Denver. Wright is a good rebounder but Wrightt is
not
> better than Antoine in anything he does with the exception of FT%.

Wright is a way better rebounder an physical 4.  Walker has himin most
other categories except FT's as you state which will lose a lot of close
games for you, if we ever have any.

> > but we are a long way from being able to compete with the
> >Lakers after the recent moves..
>
> I agree but then with the recent moves, nobody compares with the Lakers
on
> paper.
>                                                                   -
Mishra