Re: Potapenko the Answer?

I have to say I'm disappointed with the majority reaction to our newest
Celtic. I think people ought to give VP the benefit of the doubt, and wait at
least until he's had a chance to play for us before calling him a "slug" and
other such welcomming names.
I also think a lot of listmembers are unwilling to see beyond VP's modest
numbers. There's a reason why the Celtics, despite looking good on paper, are
not winning as much as we think they should. They're just a bunch of nice,
jumpshooting kids who eschew physical play and view basketball as a
non-contact sport. Despite the considerable talent on the team, we just won't
go very far with this type of attitude. Any good team needs a guy who's
willing to mix it up with the Oakleys of the NBA, and the Celtics just got
their Rick Mahorn-in-the-making (there's a reason why Mahorn, at 40, is still
in the NBA). No gaudy numbers (btw, RM's career rpg is 6.3, ppg is 7.0 ), but
a meanness, physical presence, and intimidation that'll go a long way in
discouraging teams like Toronto and Portland from playing volleyball with our
backboard. This is something we'd hoped Popeye would bring to the team, but
he's been, to say the least, a huge disappointment.

VP is a young (24) but already experienced player, who can grow with our
nucleus, infusing it with much-needed toughness. And, as somebody pointed out,
if he pulls a Popeye on us, he should be tradeable even with his new contract.
After all, there are only so many big, strong, tough, moderately skilled guys
in the NBA, so somebody will take a chance on him, thus opening a big salary
slot to sign an FA when there's a better selection of them later on. The
bottom line is, Pitino faced two other *viable* choices - do nothing, slip to
the lottery, and hope they get lucky, or trade one of the "assets" for
(hopefully) somebody better than VP. I think this is by far the more appealing
choice - trade a lovable, but career-backup DeClercq, get someone better in
return, and shoot for the crucial playoff experience THIS year. Besides, VP
has not one, but TWO cool nicknames - the other one was given by Tommy & Cooz
in the ill-fated Cleveland game: Phantom of the Opera. The only problem is,
can VP and Riley kiss and make up, or will Eric go on the IL with a broken
jaw? :)