Re: Potapenko the Answer?

> It will be tough to see DeClerq leave, since he had the heart of a
lion.  Having Battie, Riley, and DeClerq, however, made one of then
expendable.  DeClerq currently had the best trade value because of his
low price and hustle.

Agreed.

> 	The 'Ukraine Train'  brings enough size to fill the middle.  He will
> also add toughness since he's as mean as a rabid dog.  He's also
> durable, playing in every game this season.

He's also slow and can't board.

<<In addition, there would be no comparable choices to fulfill our
needs with the draft.>>

Lari Ketner?

<< So the worst thing that can happen is that
this guy will really suck and we can release him at the end of the
year, using the cap space on someone else.>>

The worst thing that can happen is that the Celtics continue their
current tailspin, end up with another draft pick in the 8-10 range and
lose out on another player who can really help -- say, an Andre
Miller.  As for cap space -- WHAT cap space?  Potapenko can't be
making much more than the $1.5M or so the Celtics were paying Ringo,
and that won't mean anything once Walker's and McCarty's extensions
kick in.

<<The best thing clearly is that he could be solid and help us get
some wins.>>

That'd be great, but does this side of beef -- er, kielbasa -- really
fit into Pitino's scheme?

<<I  think it was a pretty smart move.>>

This armchair GM respectfully disagrees.

Michael Gooen