Re: Potapenko the Answer?

"Starke R. Farrell" <sfarrell@tsixroads.com> said:
> It will be tough to see DeClerq leave, since he had the heart of a lion.
> Having Battie, Riley, and DeClerq, however, made one of then expendable.
> DeClerq currently had the best trade value because of his low price and
> hustle.
> 	The 'Ukraine Train'  brings enough size to fill the middle.  He will
> also add toughness since he's as mean as a rabid dog.  He's also
> durable, playing in every game this season.  Although Potapenko is not
> an all-star center, he is an upgrade at the 5 without giving up one of
> the big 3.  In addition, there would be no comparable choices to fulfill
> our needs with the draft.  So the worst thing that can happen is that
> this guy will really suck and we can release him at the end of the year,

I think this is the best sizing up of the situation I've seen posted
so far.  I love the way DeClerq plays as much as anyone else on this
list, and I'll really miss his play, and the Celtics' second unit will
suffer from his loss, but it was clear he wasn't ever going to be "the
answer", and his minutes have been very limited with Battie and Riley
around, and he had the most trade value, especially to a team that
wants a good quality player right now, instead of someone with "potential".

The Celtics picked up DeClerq for almost nothing, built his value, and
traded him for someone younger who has more chance of DEVELOPING into a
starter quality center, which DeClerq was never going to be able to
do.  This all fits with Pitino's plan.

The C's also get some instant toughness underneath, which has been their
main weak spot, as we all know.

They trade a 26 year old for a 23 year old, which means he'll have
a chance to grow with the 21-23 year old core of the team:
      Walker, Mercer, Pierce, McCarty & Battie.

The main thing that concerns me is that his contract runs out soon, so
we might end up losing Declerq and a half-decent draft pick for
nothing, but it's a chance Pitino is willing to take.  Scary thought!!!

Jon Mc