Re: Hell of a trade -- here's why

>Earlier this season, he at least flirted
>with the idea of trading Pierce for this guy..   Why?  Because he
>rebounds like Dana Barros, can't block shots, and is slow?  No.

Before I leave for my stinking job let me address this flirtation. It's my
understanding that: Embry wanted Pierce at draft time. Pitino would've
taken Nowitzki instead of Pierce if he were still on the board at draft
time. Embry approached Pitino concerning this trade during and after the
draft. I'm guessing that Pitino didn't make this move before he knew about
Pierce's "upside" because Pitino's first instinct is to always go for the
"athletic" option at any position. That certainly seems to be what he's
been after...no? He chooses quickness first and he'll work on the bulk
later. "Weight rooms!" He actually had no interest in acquiring Potapenko.
Months later, Pitino begins to realize he needs bulk up front. Does he know
how to use it effectively? That's another post. Anyway....I'm not sure
Pitino was ever flirting with Potopenko, as in "Gee, I really want this
guy, how do I get him on the cheap." It was more like Embry saying,
"Hey...I know you're desperate for a date...I have this guy..."
So...another miserable Saturday night came around, Pitino was desperate
because he hadn't been out with anybody in a long time....and he made the
phone call. I'm just guessing from the make-up of Pitino's team and what he
wants to do on the court that he came to this move kicking and screaming.
Kind of like holding your nose when you vote for the least objectionable
candidate. I could be wrong though.

Paul M.