Chuck Person: The Problem Is The Ball-Hoggedy Antoine

Pitino lambastes the chemistry of the team;; Kenny Anderson says he's
totally frustrated....

==
MG In Exile

                                [The Boston Globe Online][Boston.com]
                                [Boston Globe Online / Sports]

                                HORNETS 105, CELTICS 87
                                Celtics hit a low point

                                They can't even beat Hornets

                                By Peter May, Globe Staff, 03/10/99

                                CHARLOTTE, N.C. - He's been around
                                for a while. He has a Rookie of
                                the Year trophy and he's matched threes
                                with Larry Bird in the heat of the
                                playoffs. Chuck Person may not be headed
                                to Springfield soon, but he thinks he
                                knows the game of basketball a little.

                                What he saw last night wasn't right. He
                                said so himself.

                                And he was on the winning side.

                                Person was one of seven Hornets in double
                                figures as injury-marred Charlotte,
                                dressing only nine players, mugged the
                                Celtics, 105-87, before an announced
                                gathering of 18,342 at the Coliseum. (They
                                count appendages here.) Boston shot poorly
                                (41 percent) and played uninspiring
                                basketball from start to finish, and what
                                looked to be a sure road kill given
                                Charlotte's state of chaos and depleted
                                roster instead turned into a nightmare.

                                Person had one theory: The Celtics rely
                                far too much on Antoine Walker, who led
                                them with 32 points.

                                ''The killer for them was that Antoine
                                Walker,'' Person said. ''He had a bad 32.
                                A very bad 32. I don't think that's good
                                basketball.''

                                Person then said, as an aside, that he
                                doesn't like to trash other players, but
                                he couldn't stop himself. He said a lot of
                                the same things about Keith Van Horn last
                                week, when the Hornets beat the Nets. He
                                said one player should not get all the
                                touches because it can tune out the
                                others, who want theirs.

                                ''You have to trust each other, that's the
                                key,'' he said. ''How can you have that
                                much talent and not share it? One guy is
                                getting all the touches on that team and
                                that's not the way it should be. When one
                                guy gets all the touches, it's tough on
                                the other guys. You gotta play together.''

                                The Celtics definitely are not doing that
                                now. Rick Pitino said, ''I don't think we
                                have great chemistry,'' and added that he
                                was disappointed with the effort. That's a
                                mild understatement. If the team thought
                                it had bottomed out in Toronto - and it
                                graded the lowest of the year in that game
                                - this one was exponentially worse, given
                                the opponent.

                                Charlotte already was without Glen Rice
                                and Anthony Mason. Derrick Coleman also
                                missed the game with a foot injury. Then,
                                just before game time, Bobby Phills was
                                scratched with a possible stress fracture.
                                Charlotte still won handily, with J.R.
                                Reid (26 points, 12 rebounds) leading the
                                way.

                                The Hornets led at every checkpoint and
                                pulled away in the second half, outscoring
                                the Celtics by 15 points. Paul Pierce
                                sprained his right ankle, Ron Mercer got
                                cramps in his hamstrings, and Kenny
                                Anderson pronounced himself ''totally
                                frustrated'' by the proceedings. It was
                                not a pretty sight.

                                ''They played really frustrated,'' said
                                ex-Celtic David Wesley. ''And they didn't
                                look real fresh out there. But the
                                frustration is what came out.''

                                Anderson agreed. He and Wesley have been
                                rivals for years, ever since they were on
                                the Nets. There's not a lot of love lost
                                between them - they even exchanged words
                                last night - but Anderson owned up to it.

                                ''I'm totally frustrated now, but I've
                                been in this situation before,'' Anderson
                                said. ''I gotta play through it, that's
                                all. Right now, it's very frustrating. I
                                can't really pinpoint what it is. But I
                                have to keep my head up and play hard.
                                This is what I've got.''

                                Added Walker, ''To lose to a team which
                                isn't healthy and has a lot of turmoil,
                                it's hard to explain. I don't have an
                                answer for it.'' He said the offense,
                                which stagnated again, was well designed,
                                ''but when the first option isn't there,
                                we act like it's the end of the world. We
                                don't go to the second or third option and
                                that's what separates us from being a good
                                team from being an average team.''

                                Pitino likened the situation to last year,
                                when the Celtics lost at Denver and Golden
                                State. But he added that at no time last
                                year did the team grade out as poorly as
                                it is grading it out now.

                                ''When you start losing and play poorly,
                                it can steamroll,'' he said. ''If you have
                                great character and veterans, you can turn
                                it around.''

                                Pitino didn't bother to finish the
                                thought, because he knows what we know:
                                The Celtics have neither. And if we want
                                to check for sure, just ask Person. He'll
                                be more than happy to explain it.

                                This story ran on page D01 of the Boston
                                Globe on 03/10/99.
                                © Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company.