Re: don't start

The Leprechaun has been quite clear...  Don't give 100% on the court and
shoot for the lottery and you get C. Billups  (Not to disparage him
personally).  Give 100% on the court and achieve the best you can and
Paul P. drops to 10.

I agree with Mark and Jim.  The only Celtic's I care to watch are the
ones giving 100% all the time.  Win or lose.

I don't think there is a blockbuster trade available until July because
of the six month rule.  Plus, I think that R. Seikley and other above
average, below star, big men may be available next year or the one
after.  I mean really, this list thought Geiger at $4 Mil. per would be
overpaid.  M. Stewart may be available next year as he is washing out in
Toronto this year.  Heck, I would consider Oakley off the bench for the
$1.7 cap exception next year to bring some semblance of inside defense
to this team.

What the team needs is more time/experiance for the core, a young point
to grow behind KA next year, a team social worker to talk the mothers of
the players children into moving to MA during the off season for year
round practice for everyone (see: Walker) and some older tougher big men
(Oakley, Willis, Mason etc...) with the cap exceptions that will give
you 15-20 min/boards per night and some team leadership  (see: How to
want to win in crunch time).

(I was at the Denver game and watched Walker walk out on the court last
for the opening tip, so everyone would stand there waiting for him.  (It
was calculated, IMO) and then in the first few minutes he was standing
talking/joking with E. William's, at about the 35-40 yard line, with his
back to the basket during a FT attempt which when missed left Walker out
of position on the fast break.)  (LB would have made the coach pull
Walker off the court for that baloney!  I mean really, is it to much to
ask that they pay attention when they are on the court?)

Walker is currently too small at the 4 to play with power  (as is
Popeye, IMO) but with some solid rebounding help in the paint he should
get plenty of points off a rebound/dish down low with his quickness at
the 4.  As far as him playing the 3, come on, do we need to see him
shoot another ill-timed three or FT to realize that's not his skill
set?  Pitino said last year that Walker needs to bulk up like Malone yet
retain his quickness.  He could do that over the next couple years.

I think that it will be a couple years until there are enough players
under the same contract as Walker and soon Mercer, to make trading
either of them for equal value a reality.  In the mean time let's see if
they continue to develop into Celtic stars and see what the Leprechaun
brings us.

Enough ranting on my part.  Just be said that I would rather the Celt's
lose every game trying, then quit in one game to get any player in the
draft.

<Jim

Jim Meninno stated;
>Absolutely!  If Pitino eases up one little bit on going 100% to win
>every game they play, he starts teaching these players lessons that can

>not be un-taught.  Get in the playoffs, steal a game or two.  Give
these
>guys a taste of what it's like.  There's no dominant centers available
>this year, and even if there were they would be long gone before the
>Celtics pick, even if they do "tank the season".  Anyone who sugests
>this should be ashamed of themselves.

>Jim

>Date:  Mon, 8 Mar 1999 00:06:10 -0800
>From: mberry@journalink.com (Mark Berry)
>Subject: don't start
>To: celtics@igtc.com
>
>If I hear anyone else start hoping for losses this season so we can get

another lottery pick, I'm going to go nuts.