Re: Sura

peter delevett <pdelevett@amcity.com> said:
> Well, actually, the Celtics DO have a shotblocker. His name is Eric Riley. In
> 14 minutes a game this season, he has blocked 1.5 shots. Last season, he
> blocked 1.2 shots in 14 minutes a game. Just why the F-CK Rick Pitino does not
> seem to realize this is even more infuriating than all these ideas about
> trading Mercer or Walker. Just give the guy a modest 28 mpg and he'd
> (mathematically) have 3 swats a game (and 9 boards).

Yes, Eric Riley is a good shotblocker.  The problem with his playing time
is as much because of foul trouble as anything.  As I said a couple
days ago, the refs in this league call fouls on Riley if he so much as
breathes upon another player.  On top of that, other teams are probably
going to their center alot on offense early because they hear that that's
the Celtics big weakness.  Riley usually picks up 2 fouls in the first
5 minutes of the game, then he's on the bench for a while.

In one game, he fouled out in just 14 minutes of playing time.

So I wouldn't blame Pitino, I'd blame Riley and/or the refs for Riley's
seemingly constant foul trouble.

Also, the Celtics picked up Riley just as the regular season was about
to start, so he certainly hasn't had time to get into shape for Pitino-ball,
which might also be contributing to his lack of minutes.

If he gets in better shape, and gains some respect from officials and
opposing teams, he should be able to get more minutes, but I don't see
that happening soon.

Jon Mc