Re: Bulpett: Stackhouse Trade Not Being Discussed Heavily

Warwick wrote:

> Josh Ozersky wrote:
>
> > It's hard to believe someone who watches the team
> > closely could so underestimate Potapenko.  Luc Longley
> > never had V's post moves for a minute in his life.
> > This is good news, overall.  Thanks Ray.
>
> Yes, but there are also only a handful of centers in the NBA that have
> Longley's passing ability. If you've seen the ongoing Australia Vs.
> Canada series you'd be amazed. I never believed Luc could pass so well,
> I guess the Bulls were right when saying they were happy to have Luc.
> Warwick

I would say that V is a better post defender than Longley, and he
possesses
a better shooting touch.  However, I do think Bulpett and others are
making
a mistake when they feel V will be sufficient as the C's Longley.  He
has to be better than Longley for the C's to contend, because the talent
surrounding him isn't equivalent to what the Bull's possessed.  Who
would you rather have: Jordan, Pippen, and Rodman/Grant or Walker,
Pierce and Mercer?  See, that's where I think the analogy is most
flawed.
Ray

PS: I already think he is better than Longley, so there is hope, and if
Bulpett is correct about the C's desire to keep Battie -- somewhat
questionable in light of Pitino's attempt to deal him for Rogers --
there is even more hope, especially if Battie can improve as a
man-to-man
defender.  Right now, Battie's best as a peripheral/team defender -
he needs to get stronger/bulk up and play better in the interior.
If Battie could emerge as a Theo Ratliff type with a jump shot, he
would be an excellent compliment to Potash.