thoughts on Ron and Kenny

I watched a game from 1998 on tape last night, and was
struck by several things about our tradeable
backcourt.

1) It really is a shame that Ron was dumb enough to
get involved in Master P's dilletanteish power play.
Ron is the perfect shooting guard for the system.
He's so long, he doesn't have a big ego, is murder on
the break, knocks his shots down with incredible
consistency, and is far and away the best athlete on
the team.  He's never tired, and if you can get him a
look, he will usually hit it.  I really wonder about
having Pierce at the 2.  Then the celtics would be at
a speed disadvantage, rather than an atvantage, at a
key backcourt position, which for them is a major
shortcoming and a waste of their second biggest
talent, who is clearly the prototypical 3, the way Ron
is the prototypical 2.   Also, Ron plays relentless
defense, and will surely improve with experience.  For
that matter, does anyone doubt that he will move his
range back two feet over the next few years?  I am
really sorry to see him go.

2)  Kenny also struck me as being really valuable to
what we want to do.  When Kenny was in shape, even
with his knee problems, he was constantly jetting down
court and making good things happen.  His passing was
a beautiful thing to see, and I don't think you get
that particular skill in just any college 1 that comes
out of the lottery.  It really is something some guys
are just born with.  If Kenny can play next year like
he did that year, I still believe that we would be
better served with him than with most any point guard.
 (And who knows?  Maybe Pitino can teach him to play
some D, the way he taught Dana Barros.)  I also think
that if Kenny can get with the program, both oncourt
and in teh gym, Pitino will let him call his own
plays, which should help immeasurably