Re: Changing the Game?

>From: Dan Forant Sr <dforant1@nycap.rr.com>
>
>Why are they tinkering w/the game. Make the lanes wider, less clutching
>etc., baloney, leave the game alone. Are points scored down, sure, the
>players suck. Too much expansion. Not enough talent. And defenses are
>getting better. It's much easier to defend than to score. The Knicks were
>successful at that for years.

Totally agree that something should be able to be done within the current
rules.  Just calling the game by the rules would be a start.  I'm not sure
the players suck, but they could certainly use some dribbling and passing
skills.  And post play and free throws too, I guess. But apart from that
they're terrific!

I've been wondering what would happen if you allowed zone defenses.  Sounds
like it would give even more advantage to the defense, but it might stop
teams from walking up the court and playing isolations.  They might actually
be encouraged to, you know, run fast breaks.  Of course I might just be
blinded by the fact that it would make Pitino's job a lot easier!  Anyone
know when zones were first outlawed in the pro's?

>Tinker w/the refs. Stop the touch calls, and call the obvious ones. Let the
>game flow more. Basketball is starting to lose money like Baseball, nearly
>half of the teams are losing dough. So they want to soup it up. Management
>has a problem, more people are playing sports than watching it. People are
>not infatuated w/sports anymore. Look at the playgrounds, their empty.

More people are playing sports, but the playgrounds are empty?  Interesting
logic!  Speaking for myself, I'd be playing sports more but my playgrounds
are always full of little girls playing soccer, being watched by their poor,
unfortunate parents clutching 30 oz cups of coffee just to keep them from
falling face down into the dirt.

Jim